Program 06: I Dream in Another Language
Sueño en otro idioma
Directed by Ernesto Contreras
In this beautifully evocative tale of love and loss, a handsome young linguist named Martín (Fernando Álvarez Rebeil) travels to a remote village in Mexico, hoping to preserve a dying language. To Martín’s knowledge, the elderly Jacinta (Monica Miguel) and Isauro (José Manuel Poncelis) are the sole remaining locals to speak the ancient dialect known as Zikril. But he soon learns of a third person fluent in the language: the ill-tempered Evaristo (Eligio Meléndez).
Isauro and Evaristo were once quite close, but a mysterious quarrel between the men 50 years prior led to a bitter falling out, and the two haven’t spoken since. Hoping to record conversations between the two men in their native tongue, Martín tries to convince them to talk, but they remain obstinate. Flashbacks to youthful versions of the duo (played by Hoze Meléndez and Juan Pablo de Santiago) are woven throughout the story, gradually filling in the events that planted the bitter wedge between the once inseparable friends.
Meanwhile, Martín finds himself falling for Evaristo’s granddaughter Lluvia (Fátima Molina), and the pair attempts to help the stubborn old men reconcile and put their past behind them before a crucial piece of their culture is lost forever. But it seems that time can’t heal all wounds.
Director Ernesto Contreras (working from a script by his brother and frequent collaborator Carlos Contreras) combines wonderful performances and lush rainforest cinematography to create a poetic and deeply moving love story set in the place where history, mysticism, and memory intertwine.
— Adam Lubitow
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- AUDIENCE AWARD, World Cinema Dramatic – Sundance Film Festival
- AUDIENCE AWARD, Best International Feature – Florida Film Festival
- AUDIENCE AWARD, Cine Latino – Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival
- PRESS AWARD, Best Mexican Feature: Fiction – Guadalajara International Film Festival
- MAYAHUEL AWARD, Best Actor: José Manuel Poncelis and Eligio Meléndez – Guadalajara International Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION, Centerpiece Film – Frameline San Francisco LGBTQ International Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Inside Out Toronto LGBT Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Outfest Los Angeles LGBT Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Seattle International Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Melbourne International Film Festival