Program 10: Extra Terrestrials
Directed by Carla Cavina
The Diaz family is well known in Puerto Rico. A leader in the business of poultry farming, it’s run with an iron fist by Arcadio, the conservative and authoritative patriarch. But between new government regulations and some underhanded moves by the competition, Arcadio’s business is facing trouble.
If there’s one thing that life – and the movies – has taught us, it’s that family, no matter how close-knit, isn’t always what’s seen on the surface and Arcadio is about to find that out the hard way. His wife, Genoveva, has a secret. His son, Junior, is married and sleeping with his secretary. His youngest daughter, Andréa, continually turns down offers from the rich, successful men her father keeps setting her up with because – unknown to Arcadio – she’s already in love. His grandson, Andrés, has Asperger’s, something Arcadio doesn’t understand and doesn’t try to. And his eldest daughter, Teresa, left for university seven years ago without his permission and became an astrophysicist who now lives in the Canary Islands. The family hasn’t seen her since, but she’s about to make a grand return with some big news. She’s getting married. To a girl.
Before Teresa can share her news (which she continues to put off, much to the dismay of her fiancée, who’s waiting for the okay from Teresa to book a flight and join her), the poultry farm’s issues grow and Teresa finds herself sucked back into the old family dynamics she’d worked so hard to escape. What’s worse, she starts to actually enjoy the familiarity. At least a little. But when light starts to shine on all the secrets of the Diaz famly, the stress levels rise to unbearable heights, and an explosion worthy of a supernova is inevitable.
Domestic drama at its best, Extra Terrestrials reminds us that, for better or for worse, you can’t choose your family. You can’t escape them. And sometimes, that’s okay.
— Georgia Beers
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- AUDIENCE AWARD, Runner Up, Best Narrative Feature – OUTshine Miami LGBT Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Inside Out Toronto LGBT Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Frameline San Francisco LGBTQ International Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Freiburg Lesbian Film Festival (Germany)
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Roze Filmdagen Amsterdam LGBT Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Qfilms Long Beach
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – Chicago Latino Film Festival
- OFFICIAL SELECTION – FUERZAFest LGBTQ+ Latino Festival (NY)